Monday 30 May 2016

Punishment vs Reward

So you probably think that punishment is an important part of training a dog, right? Otherwise, how else would they know right from wrong? After all, people learn in the same way, don't they?
Well you're right about one thing, people do learn in the same way as dogs, and any other animal for that matter. So let's take a closer look at what punishment actually teaches us.

Most of us drive cars. And if you drive a car, you're probably aware that speeding can result in a speeding fine and loss of demerit points on your license. Yet the majority of people still speed to some degree or another. So despite the potential for punishment, we still break the rules. Why is this? Because we have learned that we can get away with it most of the time, unless the source of the punishment is nearby. In other words, we will all slow down for the speed camera, or when we see a police car on the side of the road, but when those sources of punishment aren't around, we speed.

One of the most common issues owners have with their dogs is that the dog breaks the rules when the owner isn't around. If the owner is in the room, the dog won't jump up onto the bench, or kitchen table and steal food, or raid the garbage bin, or get on the furniture. As soon as the owner leaves however, it's fair game as far as the dog is concerned. It is also common for dogs that have been punished for going to the toilet inside to start toileting in inconspicuous places such as under the bed or behind the couch where the owner can't see. So just like humans, the dog has learned that when the source of punishment isn't around, they can get away with it. But wait, you say, I always make sure I show my dog what they did wrong and then punish them after the fact, so they still get punished. Unlike humans however, dogs are unable to connect the punishment with their actions that may have occurred minutes or even hours before. Your dog will associate the punishment with whatever is happening at that particular time. For example, you come home to find the garbage strewn all over the kitchen. You call your dog in, show him the mess and then punish him. In the future your dog will be afraid of garbage on the floor in the kitchen, even if it wasn't him who caused it. Your dog is also going to be less likely to come to you next time you call him seeing as last time it resulted in punishment.

Also, I don't know about you but when a police car is driving behind me, next to me or even in front of me, I get nervous. Even if I am not doing anything wrong, I am constantly worried about making a mistake. Now that is definitely not how I want my dogs to feel anytime that I'm around.

Now imagine a world where instead of punishing drivers for speeding, cops went around randomly handing out $100 to people who were driving to the speed limit. Imagine you didn't know where or when, and it didn't happen every single time, but it was a regular and yet random occurrence. I don't know about you but I would definitely start driving to the speed limit (hypothetically I mean because I never speed...ever.) And I would also feel a lot less nervous when I saw a police car. In fact, I'd probably be really excited about seeing a police car.
Now translate that to your dog's world. You are frequently rewarding your dog for doing the right thing, and if they make a mistake, hey, no big deal, set it up next time so they will have a better chance of success. It is scientifically proven that dogs trained using positive reinforcement learn more efficiently, more effectively, and are more consistent with their behaviour than a dog trained using punishment. I want to be the cop who goes around handing out $100 bills for good behaviour. I want my dogs to enjoy learning, to make the right decisions even when I'm not around, and most of all, to enjoy my presence, not fear it. Which cop do you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment